Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Repost: My Dream Came True


I remember like it was yesterday….

Growing up the rural Low Country of SC was my entire world, but something deep inside me told me there was more…I just didn’t know how to attain it. So like most children around the age of ten, I dreamed of my “other” world. It was a place different than my experiences in the rural south. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the Low Country, her culture and what she gave to me but I dreamed of experiencing a different world.
It was a place where my parents didn’t have to work in the textile plant and live paycheck to paycheck. It was a place where I didn’t have to punch a clock for an hourly wage and my future family wouldn’t have to worry about our finances. I knew a world like this existed, I would see glimpses of it each time I watched TV for any amount of time.

The place where people lived fast, made decisions that impacted the world, seemingly cared about people, would fight for the rights of others, and seemingly everyone knew them by their first name…yes, that is the place….it’s on TV every night…Washington, DC.

So for a period of time I dreamed of this city and told my mom “you just wait and see, one day I will be in Washington, DC.” Her response was always a smile and a comment on the order of “Son, I believe you can do anything you put your mind to.” I carried this dream for a while and even remember fantasizing just what it would really feel like to sit in the Oval Office or stand before the Senate to address them on behalf of my constituency.

Needless to say, that dream faded along with many others. I found myself stuck in the “cycle.” But somewhere along the journey, the path shifted and I became the recipient of blessings I never thought imaginable. I have been the recipient of traveling globally to help other people of faith and cultures. I have visited cities during their best days of celebration and have responded to communities experiencing the worst because of a disaster.

I was recently reminded of my dream as a ten year old and I want to weep. Weep with joy because I have discovered once again that dreams come true. They come true when you just release them and walk steadily upon the path that is before you, letting His Light illumine the next steps. One step at a time…walking in faith, devotion and a spirit of humility will eventually get you to your destination.

Momma, guess what? I am in Washington, DC. No, it’s not the job I dreamed of as a child but it’s the job God has given and His vote is the one that counts. Oh by the way mom, I’ve been invited to the White House for a meeting tomorrow!

So to all I say, Keep dreaming.