Saturday, June 14, 2014

My Dad

Today I am thinking about fathers. The one who gave me life, the one who called me to faith through this son Jesus Christ, the one who adopted me when I married his daughter and the one who fathered me in ministry. Respectively, Tommy Creech, God, Rev. Ray Batson and Dr. Buddy McGohon have all had a hand in fathering me at some point in my life and I am ever grateful for the influence they had upon me.

All are still around except one, my biological father, Tommy. It is to him I memorialize on this Fathers Day weekend my short life journey with him. Death came too quick and I lost out. So here's my perspective of what I thought about dad as I grew up.

When I was...

4 yrs old, my dad can do anything;

5yrs old, my dad knows a lot;

6 yrs old, my dad is smarter than your dad;

8 yrs old, my dad doesn't exactly know everything;

10 yrs old, back in the day when my dad grew up things were different;

12 yrs old, dad doesn't know anything about that;

14 yrs old, dad wants to teach me what? I don't want to know how to do that;

16 yrs old, I'll never be like dad

19 yrs old, I'm getting married and I want dad to be my best man;

25 yrs old, dad knows more about it than what I thought;

28 yrs old, I think I'll ask dad about this;

35 yrs old, we all have our faults and desired re-dos, dad is really a better man than I ever thought;

37 yrs old, the older I get the closer I become to my dad;

38 yrs old, three weeks at the beach with my family, dad and mom...one of the best summers ever. Dad's really cool;

38 yrs old, I lost my dad;

45 yrs old, I wonder how dad would have handled this?;

50 yrs old, I wish dad could see his great-grandchildren;

51 yrs old, I'd give anything now if dad were here now so that I could talk this over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate how smart his was. I could have learned a lot. Those things I did learn will be forever with me and passed down to my daughters.



Location:Scioto Dr,Louisville,United States