Thursday, June 18, 2015

Voices from Appalachia

Just yesterday I spent some time on our Buckhorn campus with my daughter, Sarah, who is a critical care nurse at Children’s of Alabama, giving her the “fifty cents” tour and letting her meet some of “my children” whom I often talk much about and love dearly. I was awestruck once more by the many conversations, hugs, fist bumps and laughter that we encountered.

This week we have a Baptist Church from TN hosting an afterschool programming and activities on this particular campus so Sarah and I had a chance to “hang out.” While hanging out the following happened:
  • “Hey boss man (one young lady affectionately calls me), I’m mad at you!” “Why?” I responded. “Because of your policies I can’t make a home visit this weekend.” “Why?” “Because I was involved in an incident that cost me my privileges.” “So your choice of actions are now my fault?” “No, it’s your policies!” “Our policies are designed to protect you, protect your peers and protect our staff. Policies are designed to help you make right choices that will promote health, healing and hope.” “I know. I just want to be mad at somebody and since you’re the boss man I thought you would be the right person! Plus I like you a lot!”
  • “Hey Mr. Ricky, we are writing letters to the folk at the nursing home, and we thought we would write a letter to you!” The letter read “Don’t get old on us!” and was initialed by all the children involved. When asked why they didn’t want me to get old, they stated, “Because we like you.”
  • A young lady came up to me smiled and showed me her arms. “Look Mr. Ricky, I haven’t self-harmed in 21 days. I get to go see my aunt this weekend!”
  • “Hey Mr. Ricky, do you remember that time I was acting out and you came to campus just because of me?” “Yes I do.” “I guess I’m special, eh?” Yes, you are special.”

The fortunate thing about these statements is they can be multiplied many times over, not because of what I do and say, but because of the caring, loving, committed and passionate staff that work for Buckhorn Children and Family Services to provide a sanctuary of health, healing and hope. Yes, I get the joys of being with the children anytime I want to, but the fact is that our cottage staff are with our children continuously through the good and bad times. It’s the good times that make the bad times tolerable and remind us of why we do what we do.

Unfortunately, for the children in KY, things aren’t getting any better. In yesterdays’ publication of The Courier Journal, reporter Deborah Yetter, casted an article that should make us all shudder! “The number of KY children removed from homes because of abuse or neglect has reached more than 8,000—the highest in memory for child advocates who find the increase alarming. Officials cite drug abuse, domestic violence and poverty as among the reasons for the steady rise.” Not only does the article cite the rise in abuse and neglect, but it also cites that children survivors have increased needs and services more than ever before.
 
As the rates of out-of-home placements rise so does the need for foster care and residential services. The financial burden on the State increases and so does the burden for residential services. Neither the government nor private child care agencies can respond in total. It takes a nation of people to respond to the outcry of abused and neglected children.

As a person of faith, I believe it is incumbent upon the faith community to intentionally engage in personal, family and church involvement on behalf of our children. Not just for Buckhorn but for all children worldwide! So, how can you help?
  • Send a personal check. One that is more than a contribution. One that is a sacrifice.
  • Pray about fostering a child.
  • Host a fundraiser in your home, work and/or church.
  • Be an advocate for policies that address abuse and neglect.
  • Personally volunteer or coordinate a mission trip to a residential facility.
  • Pray, Pray, Pray.