Monday, February 22, 2016

Just a Cup of Coffee



We each have such a unique and valuable role to play. And our voice, when used, can make an impact that we never imagined.

Just recently, I had coffee with someone I’d never met before. We chatted for a good 30 minutes about this and that, and I asked a lot of questions about her. But, after a bit, I could tell that she wanted to hear more about me, what I do, and what Buckhorn Children & Family Services is all about.

To be honest, since I explain Buckhorn to people so regularly, I often feel like I’m boring to listen to, and forget that it’s a fresh message to each new person who hears it. So I told her about our kids. I told her about the challenges of being in a remote region of Appalachia KY and the unique challenges that presents with hiring licensed clinicians and raising money. I shared that it takes $250 a day to care for a child but we only get $218 from our payor sources, which translates into us having to raise an additional $800,000 annually just to break even. I told her into addition to the money we have to raise to break even, we are trying to raise $11 million to do capital improvements, fund our recreation program and start an endowment to assist with our clinical and program services.

Well, after sharing briefly the Buckhorn story, challenges, the year we were about to complete and dreams for the future, she hesitated and said, “Well, I was abused when I was a kid. You’re only the second person I’ve ever told – and the first person was just last month. I want to help you help your kids because I suffered in silence and never got a chance to be a Buckhorn kid. I'll be a champion for your cause!”

Her eyes immediately began to well up and she told me more. My eyes began to tear as her story reminded me of the 1400 stories I read of our children who have graced our doors in 2015.

You might think that she needed me, my voice, and the Buckhorn story in order to tell hers. And, yes, I suppose that’s true – obviously, since I’m only the second person she’s ever told, she shared her story with me due to the role I have with Buckhorn.

But the truth is that I needed to hear her story. I needed her to be bold. I needed to see her eyes well up. I needed the emotional pull because I needed to be reminded once again of why I go to work every day. I needed to be reminded that it’s okay to be bold when I ask for money on behalf of my kids because it is for them we fight.

Hearing her story and sincerity was affirming and was just what I needed at just the moment I needed it. And if that wasn't enough, shortly after our meeting I received the following notes from former children and youth who went through our program of treatment:

  • I just wanted to reach out and let you guys know that you most assuredly saved my life when I was a teenager and came to you for help. Because of the values you instilled in me, I am healthy, married and have three kids. I am raising my children under the same values you taught me.
  • Thanks for putting up with all my "craziness, insane thoughts, anger and temper." You guys really knew what you were doing in trying to help me. I am alive because of you and am doing well. I have a great support group and am in school. I hope to graduate soon and come work for you guys so that I can help kids like me.
  • I thought I was a nobody until I came to Buckhorn. At first, I thought all this love, encouragement and God talk was just another way for somebody to take advantage of me but you really showed me that you cared. It was the first time I ever experienced real love, compassion and held accountable for my present and future decisions. I will always be grateful to Buckhorn.
  • When I came to the Dessie campus I thought I would just stay there until I turned 18, but I quickly learned different. Because of the caring staff, of which I hated but loved, making me work the program and the teachers at the school encouraging me to complete assignments, I am now a high school graduate and a graduate of your program at Dessie! I am excited to go home and get a job and start a future I never thought would be possible.

It's amazing what can happen over a cup of coffee. She needed my voice, yes, but, I also needed hers.

Would you pray and consider what role you could play in the Buckhorn story? Would you be willing to lend your voice on behalf of our children?